Department of Medicine Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn Hospital
Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn Hospital was founded on June 11, 1947 under the Ministry of Public Health. After the separation of Thai medical schools from the Ministry of Public Health, administration of the Faculty of Medicine, along with Chulalongkorn University, was transferred to the Ministry of University Affairs, Office of The Prime Minister in 1959. In October of 1967, the Ministry of University Affairs separated from the Office of the Prime Minister. Since then, Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University has operated under the Ministry of University Affairs, now a part of the Office of The Higher Education Commission.
Without its own teaching hospital, Chulalongkorn University began a collaboration with Chulalongkorn Hospital of the Thai Red Cross Society which has lasted over 60 years. Chulalongkorn Hospital, now renamed King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, continues to serve as the main teaching hospital of Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Medicine.
Foundations of the Department of Medicine took roots in 1948. However, it was not until 1950 that the Department welcomed its first class of medical students. Colonel Khun Luang Phrakit Vejjasak became the first Chairman of the Department. At that time, there were only 3 other faculty members: Major Tawee Tumraswin, MD, Boonliang Tamthai, MD and Prayad Laksanaphuk, MD. These founding physicians, along with other Thai Red Cross Society physicians were responsible for all patient care, teaching, as well as student supervision within the department.
To facilitate the everyday run of the hospital, faculty were appointed joint staff positions of Chulalongkorn Hospital in the Thai Red Cross Society while maintaining academic positions in the Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University. In the year 1952 the Faculty produced its first class of Chulalongkorn medical graduates. One of them was Yachai Na Songkhla, who later went on to become Chairman of the Department of Medicine and subsequently Dean of the Faculty of Medicine.
Chairmans of the Department of Medicine
From past to present:
- Colonel Khun Luang Phrakit Vejjasak (April 09, 1948 – October 25, 1960)
- Prof. Dr. Tawee Tumraswin (October 26, 1960 – February 28, 1974)
- Prof. Dr. Sira Sirisamphan (March 01, 1974 – February 22, 1978)
- Assoc. Prof. Yachai Na Songkhla (February 23, 1978 – February 28, 1981)
- Prof. Dr. Choteboon Buranavej (March 01, 1981 – February 27, 1983)
- Prof. Dr. Khunying Srichitra Bunnag (February 28, 1983 – September 27, 1987)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sajjaphan Issarasena (September 28, 1987 – August 31, 1990)
- Prof. Dr. Visith Sitprija (September 01, 1990 – August 31, 1994)
- Prof. Dr. Chaivej Nuchprayoon (September 01, 1994 – August 31, 1998)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Pinit Kullavanij (September 01, 1998 – August 31, 2002)
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Vitaya Sridama (September 01, 2002 – August 31, 2006)
- Prof. Dr. Kammant Phantumchinda (September 01, 2006 – August 31, 2010)
- Prof. Dr. Tanin Intaragumtornchai (September 01, 2010 – August 31, 2014)
- Prof. Dr. Somchai Eiamong (September 01, 2014 – August 31, 2017)
- Prof. Dr. Teerapong Tantawichien (September 01, 2017 – Present)
Additional physician from national and international institutes were also recruited to provide academic support for medical students and residents during the early days of the Department. The curriculum has been adjusted to accommodate the growth of the hospital and department over time. Currently, 4th-, 5th-, and 6th-year medical students, totaling over 600 students per year, enter Internal Medicine clerkships at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital.
The Internal Medicine Residency Program was established in 1972. The Department has long recognized that the diversity in levels of medical care available in Thailand means that Internal Medicine residents should gain experience in secondary as well as tertiary care centers. Towards that goal, the Chulalongkorn Internal Medicine Residency Program merged with its affiliated programs, the Chulalongkorn-Chonburi and Chulalongkorn-Chantaburi programs. The merges increased the number of residents from 26 to 36 positions, allowing a total of a 4-week long rotation in Chonburi and Chantaburi provincial hospitals in the first and third year, with the remaining rotations completed in King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital.
The Internal Medicine Program now offers over 52 categorical positions in Internal Medicine and 12 transitional positions which go on to residency positions in Neurology, Hematology, and Dermatology. House staff who satisfactorily complete 3 years of residency are eligible to take the Royal College of Physicians of Thailand supported corresponding Boards in Internal Medicine, Neurology, Hematology, and Dermatology. Clinical epidemiology classes are also offered at both the residency and the fellowship levels. Fellows receive a Masters of Science in Clinical Sciences upon graduation.
The Department of Medicine currently comprises of 20 divisions
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Infectious Diseases
- Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- Clinical Epidemiology
- Geriatric Medicine
- Clinical Nurtition
- Emergency Medicine
- Perioperative and ambulatory Medicine
- Medical Genetics and Genomics
- General Medicine